Monday, May 2, 2011

Running in New Shoes

I got my first pair of running shoes Friday, a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero +5. They're the previous model, so they ended up being a bit cheaper than the current one. I wore them around Friday afternoon and some Saturday (I didn't have shoes on a ton Saturday that weren't dance shoes) to break them in and today, I finally got to run in them! *insert happy squeals* I like them because they are squishy, and my foot feels like it has tons of room. I got fitted at Go!Running, because I had no idea what I was doing. They told me that you needed to have some extra room at the toe, so I ended up with a 7.5 womens for size, and they also told me that it was good for the shoe to have extra room sideways because the foot swells while running. Well, I've never noticed my feet swelling during dancing, but admittedly, this is different. So I took their word on that, and tried on 4 pairs of shoes, narrowed it down to 2, and picked the Nikes. They're not a color combo I probably ever would have picked, but they feel good. And the shoe laces aren't 12 inches too long for normal usage.

So I went running today, just for about 30 minutes, and it totaled out to about a mile. It was an 1/8 mile indoor track at my school, because 1)swim class was cancelled today and 2)it was pouring down rain the vast majority of the day so running outside wasn't really an option. Plus it was 50* F. I'm new to running and running while cold and wet, in new shoes nonetheless, sounded less than no fun. We ran about 4.5/8 mile, and pretty much walked the rest. We ran 1 lap, then walked for a little bit, then we ran 1.5 laps, and walked for a bit, and then Joseph goes, 'so do you think you can do 2 laps?' Well, was that a challenge? Now, I had to at least try. So we started running, and with about an 1/8 of our 2 laps left, he goes 'pick up the pace', so I ran as hard as I could for the last like 25 feet. Then I was done, lol. Sat down and caught my breath (I'm not sure my inhaler ever really kicked in, since I took it at 11:15 and we started running at 11:17.) My 1/4 mile was around 2:40, which Joseph said totaled out to around a 10:30 mile, if I could run a mile at this point. Which I can't, but I haven't been running long. I was pretty darn proud of that 1/4 mile. We then walked for another 2 laps until Joseph had to leave to go to class.

I don't know that we'll run like that all the time, but it's a cool way to do it at school, because I can really gauge how far I can go. I can't do that the same way going around my block. So I figure for going around my block, I'll continue with my counting (1,2,3, 2,2,3,3,2,3, etc), and doing the walk/run in more of a set pattern than we did at school today. Today, it was run a set length, then walk until my breathing was easy again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment