Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ran again today

I ran again this evening with Joseph. We went around the block 4 times, which totals out to about 1.6 miles. At one point, we ran about .2 miles. I ran it in about 2:11. :) We also ran from one corner to the other, which totaled to about .1 miles. It was a very nice day to run, sunny and about 63* F. The rain is mostly gone, but the ground is still very damp. Of course, we had something like 12" of rain since like last Monday. That's a lot of rain on already drenched dirt.

We ran doing walk/run a lot. We'd run for 54: 1,2,3,2,2,3,3,2,3, etc. and then walk for about the same. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's fun. I enjoy it. Which is the important part, I suppose. :)

I'm still incredibly winded at the end of that ~1/4 mile, but I'm doing it, after I've been run/walking for a while, so I feel pretty good about it. My shins are trying to hurt some, so I'm taking ibuprofen, and I decided to start icing them today. Which I hate. Despise. I do not like cold ice packs on my legs. But, between dance, and now running, I guess that's what I have to do to not stop. Because I definitely can't stop dancing at all until July when summer break comes around, and with school ending in about 2 weeks, I fully intend to go practice more at the studio. So these legs aren't getting any kind of a break unless it is absolutely necessary. I've continued dancing for good periods of time on shin splints before, they're not going to stop me now when it's just a twinge of pain. Stupid? Possibly, we'll see.

We ran really hard for a little bit on one of our .1 mile stretches. And go figure, my legs were fine, my lungs were struggling (completely expected), but then my arms (which I pump as I run) started feeling kind of cold and jello-y. Anyone else ever experienced something like that? Joseph says it's a prime example of how disproportionate my upper body to lower body strength is. I can leg press a minimum of 330 lbs. When I did that, I had a sprained ankle and didn't want to keep trying. So there's no telling if that's really my top range. My upper arms are sillily weak in comparison. Well, Irish dance doesn't really use your upper arms much. :) lol

3 comments:

  1. Gah. So jealous. I miss running so much...Living vicariously through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you run any more? Not enough time? Or the whole pregnant thing? I've heard of a lot of women who run while pregnant, but obviously, if you're not comfortable with it, that is completely your decision, and I totally respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I have had problems with shin splints off and on. I find that I do much better if I run every other day. The shin splints can get bad if I run 2 days in a row. I try to do lower impact things on the in between days like strength training and riding my bike.

    Warning - Running can get addictive! I am much nicer Mom and wife on days that I run.

    ReplyDelete