Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rain, rain, go away

Well, I wouldn't have gone running today anyway, because my shins hurt badly from yesterday's feis, where I got a 2nd, 3 3rds, and a 4th (in a trophy special, so I GOT A TROPHY!!!). I accidentally curl one leg under the other and sit on it at times, and it hurts like hell. Must remember to not do that until they stop hurting. I should really ice them, but I really hate ice. It's cold. So ibuprofen it is. And currently a cat lying on them on top of my blankets.

But anyway, it has rained a ton over the last few days/weeks, and we've had tornadoes. The ground is completely saturated, and today and tonight, we have a 90% chance of rain, and tomorrow an 80% chance. But my backyard is a pond at the moment. To give you guys who don't live around central Arkansas an idea of what's going on, here are some of my friend's Facebook statuses:

"My poor neighbors had to park their cars at my house and bring the boat out so they can get out if they need to. Sucks to live in the flood plain like they do... but glad my house is at the top of the hill!"

"We're hearing reports that several areas have been affected by flooding. Those include 67/167 from Jacksonville to Cabot, Highway 10 west of the LR city limit, Boyle Park and portions of Jacksonville." -a local radio station


"PET EMERGENCY:The arena where the tornado rescue dogs are being kept is taking on water fast. We are needing people with trucks or trailers to come to the Wal-Mart on Harkrider in Conway. They are donating approx 100 pallets so that we can get the dog crates off the ground." -Joey the Garden Cat 


"Lovely, they won't let you out of Cabot because it's flooded all around."

"has gotta get back into Jonesboro come hell or HIGH WATER."

"FYI - Pinnacle Mountain State Park is currently closed due to limited access caused by flooding."

Anyway, you get the idea...

I was hoping to get out and at least walk around the block (approximately .4 miles) a few times, but the rain has not let up at all. So I guess I'm staying inside and doing homework today, and hopefully not running to hide from tornadoes in the bathroom. I knew I wasn't running today- again, shins-, but I wanted to at least walk.

Monday morning, I did one run/walk around the block before coming in because I didn't want to run out of time and not get breakfast before going to school. Could have done 2, but I didn't think to see how long it took me to do the first time around.

Wednesday night was dance night. We were at the dance studio from about 3:30 until around 7 or so. The feis was this weekend, so we were going over all of our dances and making sure they were decent enough for the feis. We also had swim class at school that morning.


Thursday night, Joseph (my fiance) and I went around the block 3 times, running for a period, then walking, running, then walking. When we were maybe 100 feet or so away from our house, and had decided we were on our last lap for the night (darn mosquitoes), we decided to run, like full out, to the house. He kept pace with me, but I ran as hard as I could for going downhill. Felt like I was going to do a faceplant the whole time, but I didn't. So it totaled out to about 1.2 miles that we walked/ran. We also partially stopped because a house on the backside of my block, well, their chihuahuas had escaped the fence. And the darn little ankle-biters got more bold each time we went around, on the last go-round getting within 6 inches of my ankles. We threw water at them the last time, and decided we didn't want to deal with them any more.


Saturday was dancing from 8:30 until around 2 pm, I think. I wasn't dancing the whole time, as the competitions are divided by age and level. But it is still a fair amount of dancing. I was registered for 8 dances. Maximum I could have done was 9. And today, my shins are paying for all of that. :/ Oh well, that's how it goes, I suppose. 


I have 6 more class days of school, and then finals. I'm hoping (weather-allowing) to be able to do more running after the insanity of the last 2 weeks of the semester is over. I'm nearly burned out at the point.


My dance classmate, Marisa (L) got first, myself, and Joseph (we both got 4th).
Hope the weather is much less soggy where everyone else is!


No comments:

Post a Comment